Friday, February 22, 2008

Lessons on the Art of Shaving








For those of you who know my Aaron and have talked with him on occassion you know the issues we have had with his speech (mainly that he talks when he wants to). Preschool has really helped him improve in this area and he works with a speech teacher once a week. So these days I am amazed at some of the things he says and it is easy to actually have a conversation with him. Well one night a couple weeks ago I didn't expect to have a conversation with him about shaving.




You tend to think that shaving is something he will learn from his father. As you know there are three girls in our household and with my husband working different shifts, Aaron tends to be with his mom and sisters a lot. Well, for Christmas, Kevin's grandmother gave Aaron a Go Diego Go! shaving kit. Aaron loves Diego. The kit came with a mirror you can suction to the side of the tub, a pretend razor, and shaving cream. We had opened the kit to look at it, but we had not used it during playtime in the tub. Aaron was ready to get in the tub one evening and says, "I want to shave my legs". I immediately thought, "He spends way too much time with girls! I am going to have to talk with Kevin about this." Anyway, I quickly explained to Aaron that mommies/girls shave their legs. Daddies/boys shave their "whiskers" on their face. I got down on my knees to where he was in the tub, lathered up the shaving cream, and spread it on his face. Aaron likes to be the one in control of things. He wants to be very independent, so I had to grab his hand along with the razor and show him how to shave his face. He finally got the hang of it. When he was done, I asked him if his face was smooth now. He ran his fingers across his face and quickly told me with a cute proud-of-himself grin that his face felt smooth.




I don't think I will forget this particular moment with my son. The girls and I laughed hard about it. Since telling Kevin about this incident, he has summoned Aaron to the bathroom to watch him shave several times. I am now reading the book, "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson!

No comments: