Monday, March 03, 2008

Break, B-R-E-A-K, Break

Today our girls participated in their district spelling bee. Kevin and I have been calling out spelling words for days now, seems like. For the last week, we have tried to use every spare moment going over about 6 pages of spelling words for each girl. I even found myself sitting on the couch between the girls, holding two lists, and alternating between the two. And since I am a "Southern Belle", my pronunciation has not always been the best. I think one night I was actually suppose to say the word "does" (as in a form of the word "do"), but I said "does" as in two female deer. If you know anything about the family I come from, you can understand why I might say this. Alli got a big laugh out of this one and so did Kevin. However, Kevin topped it all last night on our last round of practice after church. He was so frustrated with Alli because she would not spell the words he was asking her to spell. I had to talk with Alli and try to figure out why she was not trying to spell them. She told me she didn't know how. Well, Kevin decides to look at the lists and realizes that he is calling out Hannah's fourth grade words instead of first grade words. I told him, "Okay. You made her cry buddy. It's time to apologize."





This morning the Lord poured out his blessings on Hannah and Alli and their hard work paid off. There were six schools represented at the bee. Hannah won 4th place for the 4th grade bee. Alli won 1st place for the 1st grade bee. Alli's winning word was "break". We are so excited for them and we are thankful to the Lord for the recall He gave them today.









1 comment:

The Rutland Family said...

I love it! How funny! You guys crack us up. I read the post to Julia and Jud and we all got a kick out of the "parent" stories. You guys are so much fun! We love you and are blessed to have you in our lives.
CONGRATULATIONS girls!!!! We are so proud of you.
Love,
Jud, Pam, Julia and Sam
P.S. I wonder if they will ever do a "Jib Jab" spelling bee? Jud would certainly have to put your beautiful faces in that one!