Sunday, September 27, 2009

See You When That Trumpet Sounds!

Last Friday I went on a little shopping spree to find Hannah some fall clothes. Let's just say I do not enjoy shopping in the junior section without her. She's eleven and we are shopping in the junior section! Around lunchtime on my way home, I decided to call my mom and see how things were going for her and my grandparents. She said things were going okay and that my Papaw had a cold and had vomited a few times due to his cold and cough, but they thought he was getting better.

Just a few hours later, I would learn that my sweet Papaw was seeing his Saviour face to face for the first time. Papaw was in his recliner, his favorite place to be, when the Lord decided it was his time. We are so thankful he did not suffer. It was like he fell asleep in his recliner. Papaw was 87. He would have been 88 next month. I guess the thing that has brought so much comfort and joy to my heart the past week, was realizing the legacy he left us--one of faithfulness to Jesus and one of faithfulness to his family. Papaw was a retired pastor. He surrendered to the ministry at the age of around 33. At the time, he had a good job with Bellsouth and had a wife and three kids to support. My Papaw's best friend was in charge of the message at the funeral on Monday. He totaled the number of churches my Papaw had served either as pastor, interim pastor, revival preacher, or just simply turning on the heat and air and it came to 176. I had no idea. Papaw chose to answer God's call on his life and I believe he served Him wholeheartedly.
Three weeks ago on Labor Day weekend, we went home to see everyone. I am so thankful to the Lord that He orchestrated this trip home. As Papaw was getting in the car that Saturday afternoon, I got to kiss his cheek, not knowing it would be my last. I know this was a gift from the Lord.
As I walked into the living room of my grandparents home for the first time last Saturday, I could tell how different it was not to have him in that recliner as usual. We will miss him greatly, but oh, what a blessing it is to know he has been healed. Papaw, we love you and we will miss you. See you when that trumpet sounds!

5 comments:

Christmas Tree City said...

This is such a beautiful post. I hope he's met my grandparents, sounds like they would get along GREAT!!!!! Know that I love you and am praying for you.

The Rutland Family said...

That last post was me, not Christmas Tree City. I guess Jud had been playing on his site.

Carrie said...

Thank you for those pictures. Sorry I wasn't able to be at the funeral. I will have to visit the burial site next time we are over that way. Mrs. Paula also has a fond last memory of Papaw kissing her hand. Thanks for that post.

Erin said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your sweet family is in our prayers. He sounds like an incredible man. Take care, sweet friend. I love you so much!

Robin said...

Sorry for your loss but sounds like it was heaven's gain...may God replace your loneliness with more of HIM...God bless your family.